Haunted Lies part 3

CHAPTER 3- KABULIWALA
kabuliwala!! O kabuliwala!!” the sweet words on a cute little girl was echoing in the house.  My sister Simran was watching this epic story by Rabindranath tagore on T.V.  As a matter of coincidence, a vendor came outside the bunglow and started selling the things at a very mesmerising tone.
“kaju le lo, badam lelo, pista lelo, mawa lelo………bolo saab! Kaju, pista, mawa kya chahiye”
I looked at Simran and started smiling. “look there, our kabuliwala has come!!”
Simran also started laughing and said- “bhai!! Kaju please!!”
I never deny anything to my sister, so I went outside and called the vendor- “Biplab!! Ana zara!!”
The vendor came running with his bag.  Biplab was a middle aged vendor most famous on the streets of purani Delhi.  I used to buy things for Simran since she was a kid and it has been 15 years since he has become a regular vendor to our family.
Biplab came near me and said- “bolo saab! Kaju chahiye?”
I started laughing and asked “ kaise diye?”
Biplab looked into his bag and got a packet of cashews out and gave it to me and said- “200 dedo saab!!”
I looked at Biplab with surprise and said- “ 200!! Market mein kilo kaju toh 1000 hain, aur tum pau kilo 200 mein de rahe ho?”
Biplab smiled back and said- “ bas kya saab ji, Simran beti ke liye toh mufat mein dedu, par maalik naukri bhi lelega, who bhi mufat mein!!”
Both of us shared a good laughter on this!!
Simran came near me and from my back she called the vendor in a funny way –“kabuliwala!! O kabuliwala!!”
Biplab burst into laughing and then to tease her he also started talking in a Kabul ascent.
“oiiii, kookie!! Kidhar chup ke baithi hain, aaja, kaaaajuu lele!!”
I was watching this fun for a long time and I was enjoying it too. After all it was spreading of happiness!! A point when people forget all their guilts, sins, pasts and get indulged in happy moments!!
Simran had become 21 this year and she surprised me altoghter with a guy named Binith. She had chosen that guy as her life partner. I wasn’t against love marriage, but I wanted to be sure about her future with Binith, after a year of understanding Binith, his family and his journalism of course!! I approved Simran`s choice. Nevertheless, Binith was a family man, was well settled, had own house and earned good enough to serve my sister. After all this I was about to be relieved from the responsibility which my parents had given me over their death bed.  
Tuesday, winters, Binith had come home to decide about wedding preparations, when the similar tone of Biplab was heard outside!!
“kaju, badam, pista, mawa…..lelooooo!!”
Simran ran to the corridor and shouted- “kabuliwala!! O kabuliwala!!”
Biplab came near the door and gave good laugh and said- “o kokiee…mawa khawe?”
Simran and biplad shared a laugh after that, then Simran called Binith and said- “he is Biplab, my best friend since childhood!!  I call him kabuliwala, doesn’t he look like one?”
I saw Binith, his expressions were that of a possessive husband, and from his face it appeared that he dint like Biplab that much!! I went inside and said- “ he is Binith, Simrans choice of groom!!”
Biplab became really happy at this and then he took out two packets from his pouch- he gave one to Simran and said- “ yeh tera kaju….tereko bahot pasand hain na!!” and other one, he gave to Binith saying- “saab, yeh bangal ka mawa!! Meri aur se aapko bhet!!”
Binith took the packet and went inside, and Simran also said thank you and went inside!! I took out my wallet and said-“haan bhai!! Kitna hua?”
Biplab was starring at the door and said- “ nahi saab! Aaj mufat ka lelo!! Ab toh bas kuch aur din…..waise saab!! Kab hain shaadi?”
After a deep breath I said- “ isi mahine ka 20 tareekh!!”
Biplab looked at me and said- “bees!! Matlab, ek hafte baad!!”
Before I could say anything, Simran came out of the room and said- “kabuliwala, shaadi mein kaju leke aana!! Mein intezaar karungi!!” and ran inside.
I was furious and shouted- Simran!! Bad manners!!
And then looked at Biplab and said- “ maaf karna Biplab, shaadi mein zarur ana!! Par yeh sab….!!”
Biplab looked at me and said- “nahi saab!! Aaj agar apna beti hota toh aise hi maangta!! Mein zarur aayega!!” and then he went away without taking any money.
After that day he came to meet Simran for next 5 days, and used to get small sweets for her, but the day before marriage, Biplab did not turn up!!  Simran was sad that day,she told me about this thing that Biplab did not come today, I simply said- relax Simran!! He must have been busy with his road side business, he will surely come tomorrow. Don’t worry!!”
And finally the marriage night came, and the guests had started coming, Simran had asked me 250 times sice evening 7 wether Biplab came or not? And now even I was curious!! It was 9 pm, and Biplab had not come, I was waiting at the gate. I dint know why my heart and mind were constantly thinking about Biplab!!
Suresh, my friend and neighbour came to me and asked for whom was I waiting, dinner is about to start and all the guests are inside, ideally I should had been inside, hosting the events.
I looked at Suresh and said- “Suresh do you know Biplab, that kajuwala?”
Suresh looked at me and said- “you are waiting for him, oh I see!! This means you don’t know anything!!”
I panicked and asked- “what? Is everything alright?”
Suresh-“ today morning only!! Near that lala chowk, he was rammed over by a bus!! Police had gone to his kholi for investigation, there they got the news that he had left the job yesterday itself following some dispute with his boss .  He was trying to buy a packet of cashews in black it seems!!”
My eyes became wide and I said- “ so were those cashews found?”
Suresh was little doubtful about this- “ I don’t think so!! Police never spoke about any such thing!!”
I did not want to tell this to Simran, I knew that she would be horrified with this news. I told Suresh that I will come in few minutes and Suresh left for the dinner room. I wiped my tears and turned back to see Simran standing there. She had the same curiousness in her eyes as she stood there!!
I dint know wat to say but before I could say anything, Simran said-“ he dint come yet?”
To avoid telling something bad, I lied to Simran-“ no!! he had come, but.. he had to go for some urgent delivary, he said he will get your cashews later and give it to you!! He just left!!”
Simran got a smile on her face and said- “ then for sure he will be nearby, let me call  Kabuliwala, o kabuliwala!!”
I was controlling my tears, first time, Simran was in a red dress like a beautiful princess and I knew that from tomorrow I will not be able see her this happy so frequently!! But how do I tell? Just then a voice came from behind –“ oii kokiee….kaju kawe?”
I looked at Simran`s face, she was overwhelmed with joy…laughing at me….I turned back in a stroke and saw Biplab standing there!! Was Suresh lying? Was he playing fool with me? I was as still as a log with mouth wide open!!
Simran asked- “ mere kaju laaye ho?”
Biplab replied- “ khass tere vaste kal Kabul jake leke aaya!! Chota saab ke paas hain!!”
Simran ran inside to her room with happiness I turned back to see Biplab with same shocking expression and Biplab said-
“ kya soch rahe ho saab!! Hum Kabul se nahi hain, par Simran hamara bhi beti hain, usko kiya hua wada kaise tod deta?  Isliye wapas ana pada!! Aap ghabrao mat saab!! Hum phir kabhi nahi ayega!! Humara naukri aur jaan dono choot gaya!! Simran beti apna sasural mein jayega!! Toh usko humesha khushi hi milega! Hum dua karta hain ke usko kaju ka kami kabhi na ho!! Chalo saab hum chalta hain.”
That’s all he said and vanished in air!!I went inside and saw Simran showing a cashew packet to her friends. I remained silent. I knew it was his love. Binith was about tell something. I diverted.

Comments

Popular Posts